What can you do to
Going green is the big rage nowadays and why not, it helps save money and our planet. If you have been thinking of ways you can help reduce your carbon footprint then the first place you should look is your commercial space. With energy prices on the rise, it is time you start thinking about how you can increase your electrical efficiency to help reduce your energy bill.
Tips on improving your commercial space's energy efficiency
Replace Incandescent and Compact Fluorescents (CFL) light bulbs with Light Emitting Diodes (LED) bulbs
LED bulbs are 3 to 30 times more efficient than Incandescents or CFLs and last up to 10 times as long as CFLs, and far longer than typical incandescents. LED bulbs are now dimmable
Replace magnetic-style ballasts with electronic-style ballasts that are more energy efficient and utilize energy-compliant T-8 lamps. T-12 lamps are no longer available due to the Energy Policy Act.
Install Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans allow you to decrease your thermostat by several degrees while using very minimal energy. In the summer ceiling fans will pull the air up and in the winter push it down. Prior to reversing motors on ceiling fans, they would only be utilized in the summertime season.
Replace Old Appliances with Energy Efficient Models
Theseits are called Energy Star. Be sure when purchasing new appliances that they have this rating so you are able to benefit on tax credits/rebates.
The installation of a photocell sensor will detect light and turn a light fixture on or off according to the light level outside. The added controls for automatic light adjustment can significantly increase energy efficiency.
Install Digital Thermostats
Heating and cooling accounts for a large portion of your energy budget. Commercial space owners can save a lot every year by properly setting programmable thermostats and maintaining those settings. After hours many commercial spaces do not require as much heating/cooling while an office is close or residents are asleep. Therefore using a setback method of programming can assist the consumer by only using heating and/or cooling when needed. This will allow for substantial savings.
Install Solar Tubes
- They are
green: Solar tubes allow you to switch off electric lights during the day, which provides savings on energy bills and also reduces environmental pollution.
- They are cost-effective: Solar tubes cost considerably less than other day-lighting options, such as windows and skylights, including both product and installation costs.
- They provide exceptional lighting: Their light output is incredible, providing as much light as you would expect from a skylight many times its size.
- They are fast and clean to install: They require no structural reframing, tunneling, drywalling or painting.
- They can go almost anywhere: The compact and flexible design of solar tubes allow them to be installed in just about any room, including rooms without direct roof access and smaller spaces where day-lighting would usually not be an option.
- They are good for you: It has been shown in several prominent studies that increasing daily exposure to natural light can enhance mental and physical well-being, boost concentration and energy levels and a variety of otherexpected perks.
Install Occupency Sensors
Install Occupency Sensors where applicable:
- Storage Rooms
- Office Space
- Small Garages
The Huntermill Estates
Master Electrician Joey Bellosi of J&G Electric Co., Inc. takes us through the retro-fitting of a Home Owner Association (HOA) community's site light from an halogen lamp to a PL-style fluorescent lamp as part of both J&G Electric's Commercial Energy Saving
Go Green and its Property Management Electrical Maintenance specialty services.